Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Parts Girl

Tuesday, I set out on my first adventure as "Parts Girl" or "Brookie's Gopher". I am not sure which title fits me best. The plan was to pick up the parts and be back in Glendora before lunch. Well, that did not happen. I made three or four visits to the Cummins place in Jackson to get one part. It was some kind of computer thingy that goes on one of the tractors. I got to the Cummins place around 7:45 a.m., but guess what......... the guy who programs the computer thingy would not be in until 10:30 a.m. I stood there a few moments, and the two parts guys told me they had a lounge for customers to sit in while they waited for their parts and repairs. This should have been my first sign that things were not going to go as planned. Well, actually the first sign should have been the fact that the computer programmer guy does not come into work until mid-morning. But, anyway......... I walked back to their lounge. The lounge consisted of four recliners (another sign). I mean this place wanted their customers to be really comfortable while they waited for some reason. In one of the recliners, sat a skinny guy who informed me he was waiting on his truck to be repaired. I sat there awhile......... well, like five minutes, and thought to myself, I could be doing something while I am waiting. I left the Cummins place and went to the Hydraulic place to pick up 10 little bolt looking things that must have been made of gold because they cost way too much to me. I have no idea how much those things are supposed to be, but my goodness, they were expensive. I had a nice conversation with the salesman about geneology while he was ringing up my purchase. His wife's maiden name was the same last name as ours; spelled different but pronounced the same. He told me some things I did not know about the immigrants coming into Ellis Island way back when. With purchase in hand, I left and went back to the Cummins place. I walked back in and one of the parts guys said, "oh it's you again." That's another bad sign. I went back to the lounge and two guys had now joined the other guy who was there earlier. These two guys were covered in tattoos and earrings. One was sporting a nice ponytail. I felt way out of place, but I sat there long enough to see they were watching Animal Planet. I thought to myself........ they can't be that bad if they love animals. Brookie called during this time, and said, you might as well go do something because it's going to be awhile. I left and headed to one of my favorite places on earth....... the bookstore. I walked around the bookstore for at least 45 minutes to an hour. I picked out some books, purchased them, and headed back to the Cummins place. At this point, I am beginning to get hungry, but press on toward my goal of getting this part. Needless to say, I go back to the place AGAIN, and the part is not ready. I left AGAIN, went to eat, and by the time I got back, the part was ready. Thank you JESUS! I made it back home around 2 p.m., sat around a little bit, picked my kids up, and then I met Brookie in Itta Bena with his parts. I was so glad that little parts adventure was over! Why is it that nothing ever goes as planned? It really was not that bad of a day. I finally felt like I had a purpose, even if it was to run here and there, and everywhere! And, of course, I had my books, so it wasn't a total waste to have extra time to do some things! I hope my next gophering trip will go a little more smoothly though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Depression - a hard fought battle

This is a post that I have started for several years now and abandoned it time and time again.  I'm scared of opening up too much about ...