Saturday, May 16, 2009

Digging in the garbage sometimes brings a treasure

For some crazy reason, I am now reading three books at the same time. That did not sound exactly right, but you get the idea, I am reading three books. I have no idea why I am doing this, other than it suits my life right now. I feel like a crazy person walking around. At this moment in my life, I just want to check out of things for awhile. I am really not mad at anyone or anything in particular. I just want to find a peaceful, quiet place and be alone. I sat on my front porch for an hour the other day and watched the birds. I sat there so long that when the five o'clock hour rolled around, my outside cat started walking toward the martin houses, and when she got right up under them, she stopped and sat. I thought this was funny because she was sitting there waiting for the purple martins to return for the evening. But, unfortunately for her, there was no way for her to get up to the birdhouses. She was just sitting there, looking up, and probably dreaming of a nice supper. Anyway......... the books. (See what I mean......... my mind is just wandering lately). So, the first book I have been reading is Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg. Now, for those of you who are not readers, Fannie Flagg is famous for her book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe' which was later made into a movie. The book I am reading was actually published in 1981 under the title Coming Attractions. (I wonder why some authors change the titles of their books). Daisy Fay is the main character and is basically writing a diary. It is a funny book and is filled with funny, crazy characters throughout. It is exactly what I need to be reading to make me laugh. Some days lately, I have not felt like laughing very much. But, Daisy Fay, well.......... she makes me laugh.

Another book I have been reading is one that was recently recommended to me. The title of it is The Promise: God's Purpose and Plan When Life Hurts by Father Jonathan Morris. Father Jonathan Morris is a Fox News Analyst. Now, it is strange to me that I have never heard of this guy before because the husband turns on FoxNews every time he sits in front of the television. Actually, he flips between Fox and Andy Griffith. But, anyway, I had never heard of him until the other day when someone showed me this book. One thing I already knew before I opened this book was that we all will endure suffering throughout our lives. Our sufferings are nothing compared to the suffering Christ endured for us. It's a good book and I might post later on any insights I have gained from reading it.

The last book that I am reading......... well, I actually started reading it today. And, please don't laugh. At the end of the school year, the students clean their lockers out. Normal, huh? Well, what is not normal to me is that some of them throw away EVERYTHING! I mean they throw away perfectly good things. I took these things out of the garbage yesterday at school, an unopened pack of index cards, a binder, some highlighters, and drumroll please........................... a copy of The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Now, I have heard of this book for what seems like my entire life, but I have never read it. I remember classmates of mine who loved this book. Anyway, the copy I have was sitting right on top of the garbage yesterday and I picked it up. Yes, it was fate, or luck. I read three chapters on the way to Greenville today and I already am mesmerized by this story. In the introduction written by Sophie Dahl, she states, "I relish secret places, even as I slink into boring grownuphood. In secret places, we can think and imagine, we can feel angry or sad in peace. There is something to be said for just being, without worrying about offending anyone." That last sentence alone sums up how I feel right now. I want to get to a quiet place, curl up with a book, and find some peace. Yes, I am still reading my Bible and praying to God for true peace which comes only from Him. But, reading a good work of fiction helps me escape too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Depression - a hard fought battle

This is a post that I have started for several years now and abandoned it time and time again.  I'm scared of opening up too much about ...