Sunday, September 7, 2008
In Memory of Mr. Eddie
Eddie Sory passed this morning. He is now resting in Jesus' arms, free from cancer and all the suffering it brings with it. With his passing, I have reflected all day on my childhood and how much the Sory home plays a part in my childhood memories. Much of my junior high years were spent spending the night or just hanging out at the Sory house with my friend Rainer. Usually, it was me, Jennifer Gilmer, Alison Davis, and Rainer always spending the night with each other. The Sory family in a way fascinated us because there were so many of them (5 children) and their house was one of the oldest homes in Belzoni. It had a basement (and as you know, few houses in the South have one). It also had a tombstone under the back deck. As young kids, a tombstone in your friend's yard can only add to your imagination. Also, there was always activity and company at their house or so it seemed to us. Mr. Eddie was a fabulous cook and also a great singer. I can vividly remember one Catfish Festival when we (Rainer, Jennifer, Alison, and I) had spent the night together at Rainer's and spent the day together at the Catfish Festival. We visited the festival and would come back to the Sory house throughout the day to hang out. On one trip to the house, Mr. Eddie accompanied by his brother Walker on the piano sang Great Balls of Fire to us. We loved every minute of it. Mr. Eddie could sing (I think so much better than Jerry Lee Lewis) and Mr. Walker could play just like Jerry Lee Lewis or even better. I just know that Mr. Eddie is singing his heart out in heaven tonight, probably surrounded by many greats who have gone on before. Please be in prayer for Rainer and the rest of her family. They had a great dad, husband, grandfather, and friend and I know the days ahead will be hard for them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Depression - a hard fought battle
This is a post that I have started for several years now and abandoned it time and time again. I'm scared of opening up too much about ...
-
Dear Friend, I have recently lost my husband. I know that it seems like this is all I talk about, but I wanted to give you some ideas to h...
-
I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about why she hasn't written in her blog in so long and how I missed reading it. She...
Oh my goodness! I didn't even know he was sick. How awful. Oh, I feel for his family. You wrote a very nice tribute to him.
ReplyDeleteOn another note, thank you for commenting! It was great to hear from you. Sometimes I think maybe we have to get older before we can appreciate what we had. :-)
I live in Winona and it reminds me a lot of Belzoni "back in the day."
This is a post I did about growing up there that I thought you may like: http://southernauthors.blogspot.com/search?q=Keetha
Thanks again for commenting - please keep in touch!