



Today, we went to the Gooden Lake Baptist Church Homecoming. After the service, we feasted on a covered dish lunch. I just love those. When I was growing up, we attended Silver City Baptist Church. Every Wednesday night, we had a covered dish supper. I really miss that. Of course, so many of the people who cooked for that Wednesday night supper are now dead or have moved away. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. Well, back to the present...... After pigging out (literally), we came home and went to the Simmons Pumpkin Patch to ride the hayride, drink pumpkin juice (kool-aid), and get our very own pumpkin (Woo Hoo!) Going to the pumpkin patch is a tradition around here. We usually go with our church, First Presbyterian Church. Even though Savell and Dwayne are older now, they still like to go. Of course, they probably have Mr. Simmons' stories all memorized by now. He does tell the same ones every year, but he did add a few new ones. (I just noticed I have mentioned 3 churches.... how very southern of me....) Now, back to the story. Ruth told me to meet her at the church by 3:15. I arrived at 3:17 and the parking lot was empty. Yep, they had left us. After calling Ruth, my best friend Kenzie pulled in the parking lot. She was also headed to the pumpkin patch. We got in the car with her and headed out for the pumpkin patch. I have to stop here and say that John Henry (the youngest) screamed all the way to four mile and I learned after getting in the car that Hatten (the middle one) had the stomach virus, but had begged to go. (Great.... I am thinking at this point because I just love the stomach virus) We arrived at four mile and had to wait on Mary Katherine (another friend) who is always late, to get there. Mary Katherine finally arrived and we loaded up into the trailer for a fun-filled hay ride. Immediately, a kid started throwing hay up into the air and I nicely said, "Little kid, quit throwing the hay." And, he said, "No" or something like that because he kept throwing hay.... I nicely said again, "Little kid, I am an adult and I want you to stop throwing the hay." And he nicely said, "I know you are an adult, but you are not my mama." Such a sweet child. (I want to mention here that I didn't say little kid... I said his name but am choosing not to mention it here) Ok... we stopped at the pumpkin patch and the kids picked out a small pumpkin. We loaded back into the trailer and headed to drink pumpkin juice (orange kool aid), pet the animals, and play on all of the broken down equipment, hay bales, and hollowed out cypress logs. Sounds like a playground from Petticoat Junction or Green Acres, but seriously the kids really love it. I forgot to mention that sometime during all of this fun... Hatten started puking by the car. Yes, being the kind soul I am, I could not simply turn my head and walk away. I walked over to where he was and asked him if he was ok? Dumb question to a kid puking his guts up. He eventually passed out in the car and we kept having our fun. We loaded up and headed home. I tried to assure Kenzie that I wasn't sorry I rode with her. I mean I haven't seen her in several weeks. Needless to say, I was saying a prayer to God about not getting the stomach virus and looking around for Germ-x (I never found any). So, now I guess I will wait for that distinct feeling that comes right before you puke. And, for those of you who care or are keeping a record, yes I still have this Beep Beep headache. I would love to say it is growing on me and that I love it so much, but I don't. I am posting some pictures from the pumpkin patch.
Sorry about the puking and the rude kid throwing hay, but other than that, it sounds like great fun!
ReplyDelete