Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's really not all in my head........


Results are in today and it appears I have multiple goiters on my thyroid. Actually, I tend to think this may be genetic... my mother had this, as did my grandmother, and even my great grandmother. I just want to share the funny part of this whole diagnosis to me. I hope it stays funny, and does not turn out to be reality, but if so I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Today, Dr. Mack called me and told me the results of my MRI. If you know Dr. Mack, then you know that he practically gets excited when someone has something unusual or out of the ordinary. No, goiters are not unusual, but I will get to the unusual part in a minute. Let me stop here and define goiters as it was explained to me. Goiters are basically like cysts that grow on your thyroid. Anyway, he called and said I want you to come up here and get some blood drawn, etc. I went up there during my planning period. I got there, had my blood drawn, and then since the ultrasound person was in the office today, he wanted to get a scan of my neck. This is when it gets funny to me. Most people would get scared at this point, but I have peace about this. I don't know why, but I do. The lady was scanning my neck and says, "Hmmmm.... I am not trying to scare you or anything, but I have never seen goiters that look like this." (Make note to never tell anyone "i am not trying to scare you" if you enter the medical profession) Next, she says, "Usually, it's a good sign if you only have them on one side, but you have them on the right, left, and even in the middle." (Make a note to not say something like this either.) The last thing was great.... "Even one of them looks like a peace sign" I thought hmmmm..... my dad grew up in the sixties..... he will just love that....Not...(He really doesn't like war protesters..... another story another time) So, anyway I just thought that it was so funny how she was trying to comfort me, and if I was not medicated on headache medicine I would probably have been freaking out by the end of the scan. But, good or bad, I realize that it's out of my control. I should hear from the radiologist (who just so happens to be the one I should listen to about the scan) tomorrow. When I returned to school, I told my Seniors jokingly.... but serious too (because you never know) that if I should die that I want the band to play at my funeral. (Some of them have a band and they are really good) I said, "Now let me just tell you that my mama is gonna try and get some opera sounding singer to sing some song I don't even like and you must walk up to her and say, no no Mrs. Jennifer wanted us to sing". One of them chimed in at this point and said... and we have the perfect song... "Dust in the Wind" At this point, all I could picture is Blue on the movie Old School dying in the wrestling match and Will Ferrell singing "Dust in the Wind" at his funeral. (I love Will Ferrell... so funny). Well, I should hear from the ultrasound tomorrow so say a prayer for me.

Savell is working on an election project for tomorrow. She and her partner were assigned to get pictures of Obama and Biden to put on a poster. I painfully helped her with it. She is quite knowledgeable about what is going on with the election... probably because Fox News play 24/7 in this house if Brookie is here. I prefer shows that let me pretend that our country is not going to hell in a handbasket. Until tomorrow.... Vote McCain.

1 comment:

  1. well i'm glad that we've officially comfirmed that there is, indeed, something wrong with you! i knew there had to be a reasonable explanation!

    and i know you're just gonna talk about how insulted you are by this comment tomorrow in class, so i'm bracing myself for your whining. :)

    McCain rulz!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Depression - a hard fought battle

This is a post that I have started for several years now and abandoned it time and time again.  I'm scared of opening up too much about ...