For Roxanne............
As the tears fell down the widow's face, I was reminded that, "Jesus wept." John 11:35, "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted" Psalm 34:18
As I listened to some family members call her "trash", I was reminded that no one is trash in God's eyes. In fact, we are the "apple of His eye."
As the woman said, "She never went to church; she is not a Christian, I was reminded that, "Only God knows someone's heart. Many people are saved, and may never step foot in a corporate worship service." 1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.
As I watched her sift through the garbage separating what was hers from what was garbage, I was reminded that one day God will separate the sheep from the goats. I wonder sometimes what some of us will be..... a sheep or a goat? "All the nations will be gathered before Him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left." Matthew 25:32
As I thought about how many people in this town of mine think of these people as Christians because they sit in church every Sunday, but that all I saw in their actions was evil, I was reminded that God will judge us by our fruit. Unfortunately, I've had some rotten fruit in the past, but I was reminded again when I saw how the family treated the widow, that we will all be recognized by our fruit, not just by the fact that we call ourselves Christians. "This is to my Father's glory that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." John 15:8
As we waited and waited for the widow to get her belongings day after day after day, I was reminded that some justify in their minds that what they are doing is "right" when really they are wrong. "There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death." Proverbs 14:12
As I witnessed someone who I know is "lost" watch how the family treated the widow, I was saddened because this is why many people do not go to church. They watch church goers mistreat others, and they think what's the point? No, this is not right, but I can perfectly understand now how some lost people feel. We as a church are destroying Christ's witness. One day he is going to "spit some of us out of his mouth". "So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth." Revelation 3:16
Basically, I've been reminded that if we call ourselves Christians, or in Christ, then our behavior and our actions should be a reflection of that. I shudder to think of how many times my life has been a reflection of the world, rather than a reflection of Christ living in me. God, I pray that you will forgive me for those times I failed you in this. "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up." James 4:10
As I opened the thank you note, and read "thank you for being here for us during our loss", I was reminded, "No, thank you for all these reminders.............."
Friday, October 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Depression - a hard fought battle
This is a post that I have started for several years now and abandoned it time and time again. I'm scared of opening up too much about ...
-
Dear Friend, I have recently lost my husband. I know that it seems like this is all I talk about, but I wanted to give you some ideas to h...
-
I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about why she hasn't written in her blog in so long and how I missed reading it. She...
No comments:
Post a Comment