Monday, February 9, 2009

Giddy Up A Hoomboppa Hoomboppa Mow Mow

Yesterday afternoon, we attended the Dixie National Rodeo in Jackson. This is a yearly family event for us. The highlight of the day for me was listening to the Oak Ridge Boys sing. Of course, Savell and Dwayne had informed us the day before that they would not be attending the rodeo because they did not want to watch the Oak Ridge Boys ............. I know..... they just do not know real talent when they see it. Well, they went anyway.......

When I was in preschool, the Oak Ridge Boys were the greatest band ever to me and my friends. In fact, I distinctly remember hanging from the monkey bars on the playground behind the First Baptist Church Daycare singing "Fancy Free" with my friend Susan. Also, their hit "Elvira" was one of my favorites. I had no clue what "Giddy Up a Hoomboppa Hoomboppa Mow Mow" meant (not sure how to spell it either), but I loved that song. It was one of the most popular songs when it first came out. Anyway, last night I was loving it that the Oak Ridge Boys were singing at the rodeo and my children were thinking it was the cheesiest thing they had ever heard. They sang "American Made", "Tryin to Love Two Women", and "Elvira"..... among others.
The funniest thing that happened was that Savell and her friend Addie brought back an autographed picture of them. Savell plopped down in my lap, handed me the picture, laughed and said, "Happy Birthday!" She also took some pictures as a joke, and I am posting some of them on here.

Well, I definitely know how my daddy felt many years ago when he forced me to listen to Marty Robbins and I rolled my eyes the entire time while he told me how Marty was the best singer ever. I guess my time has come.

1 comment:

  1. Am. So. Jealous. I love the Oak Ridge Boys! All thos songs you mentioned...ah, took me back.

    ReplyDelete

Depression - a hard fought battle

This is a post that I have started for several years now and abandoned it time and time again.  I'm scared of opening up too much about ...