This has been my normal grouchy week. I know I promised to write about something interesting, but this is probably not the first time I have broken a promise. So, I'm sorry. But, I was considering earlier this week writing about this, "If you were a superhero, what would you be?" But, I could not get past several sentences. It went something like this........ If I was a superhero, I would be "SuperDuperHormone Woman". I would zap all ignorant people in a single bound. I would pride myself on being the prettiest and smartest superhero around. I would be quite muscular without requiring any exercise. I would use my magic button on my Smurf watch to have the best meals cooked in an instant through no effort of my own. (Not sure why I wanted to include my Smurf watch, but I do love the Smurfs.) That's as far as I got. I am sure if this was a required essay for some class, I would force myself to finish it. But, it's not, so maybe I will explore that later.
I have been struggling all week with finding something to read.............. I am sure other people somewhere have been struggling with so much more. But, this is a big deal to me. I need something to read! This is important to me. While I would really like to take a trip to the bookstore, I know that I will not have time for this any time soon. So, today I went to the library. I love the library. I found three books to read so now my life is looking up. I stop here to ponder this question......... Does anyone else miss the card catalogue like me? I know computers are so much better, but I seriously loved pulling the drawer out, flipping through the file, and hopefully finding what I was looking for. I think I enjoyed this because while flipping through the file for whatever I was looking for, I would scan the other cards in the file. You can find some interesting books while doing this, but what do I know? I am just "SuperDuperHormone Woman". Another thing I notice is that there are more people in the library on the internet than people looking for books. Also, another thing that is different is the computer system to check out books. The library lady and I were discussing this today. I asked her about this slip of paper in the front of the books that contains columns and says at the top, "Make your mark here instead of the book". Stupid me, I have been wondering and wondering, what the hell does this mean? Occasionally I would see someone's initials written in the columns, but I could not figure this out. So, today I asked.......... She told me that since they stopped using the cards you sign when you check a book out, people wanted a way of knowing if they had read a book or not. And, some people didn't want people to know what they had been reading so that's one reason they quit signing cards (may be a privacy law, I don't know). So, this led me to ponder again.......... How the hell do you NOT remember you have read a book? This must be reserved for old people or something. I mean I can still remember books that I read when I was 6. Maybe there are some super readers out there that are just bogged down and cannot remember. And, about the privacy thing. When they used the cards, I would look to see who had read books......... not for noseyness sake, but I would see someone's name and think, "Oh, so and so has read this. It must be good." I guess there are people who don't want people to know what they have read. But, I must confess something now......... there is this book out there called Mississippi Sissy. Now, what do you think this book is about? It's written by a man. Now............., what do you think it is about? I am really naive........ Anyway, I love to read Mississippi authors, but since I read this book last summer, I now know so much more about the gay lifestyle than I care to know. And, if we were still using the card sign thing, some random people would see that I checked this book out last summer and wonder things about me that I am here to say are not true. That book disturbed me................If you suffer from homophobia, you could have some serious nightmares after reading it. So, I am just letting all of my friends and family know, I have read Mississippi Sissy, but I am not gay. And, I guess I am glad they don't use the sign in cards anymore for that reason. I can just see every gay person in Belzoni going to check out that book, pulling out the card, seeing my name, and thinking...... "Oh, so and so has read this book, she must be gay, too." Ugh........ that's scary. Well, I am finished pondering for one night. I hope you all have a great Friday and weekend. I hope this weather moves on out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Depression - a hard fought battle
This is a post that I have started for several years now and abandoned it time and time again. I'm scared of opening up too much about ...
-
Dear Friend, I have recently lost my husband. I know that it seems like this is all I talk about, but I wanted to give you some ideas to h...
-
I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about why she hasn't written in her blog in so long and how I missed reading it. She...
I didn't even attempt to read your post. It was too long and once I read the sentence "I promised to write about something interesting, but...," I straight up said no. But I did leave you a comment. You're welcome.
ReplyDelete